Thursday, March 2, 2023

MEET THE SCIENTIST

 Antoine Lavoisier


I am Antoine Lavoisier, a famous chemist. I was born in France on August 26, 1743. I grew up in an aristocratic family. My father was a layer but my mother died when I was only five years old.

I didn’t practice law because I found science more interesting. Since I had inherited a good deal of money when my mother died I was able to live as a nobleman and pursued various interests. I also worked in various government positions and was elected to the Royal Academy of Science in 1764.In 1775, I set up a laboratory in Paris where I could run experiments. This lab became a gathering place of scientists and I made many important discoveries in chemistry. 


Do you want to know what scientific discoveries I have done?

The Law of Conservation of Mass:

One of the main scientific theories in my time was the phlogiston theory. This theory thought fire was made up of an element called phlogiston. But I disproved this theory and demonstrated that there was an element called oxygen that played a major role in combustion. I also showed that the mass of products in a reaction are equal to the mass of the reactants and no mass is lost in a chemical reaction. This is known as the Law of Conservation of Mass and is one of the most important and basic laws of modern chemistry and physics.

The Elements and Chemical Nomenclature:

I spent a lot of time isolating elements and breaking down chemical compounds. I also invented a system of naming chemical compounds that were made up of multiple elements and named the element hydrogen. The First Chemistry Textbook:

I also wrote the first Elementary Treatise of Chemistry. This was the first chemistry textbook. The book contained a list of elements. I died when the French Revolution began. I wanted to remain separate from the revolution. But because I had worked as a tax collector for the government, I was branded a traitor and was executed on May 8, 1794 by guillotine.

A CELEBRATION OF TOGETHERNESS

  Through community meals  What's unique about Chandanki, a village in Gujarat? Here, food isn’t cooked in any house. Instead, food for ...