Tuesday, May 30, 2023

TEACHING STORY

 Kindness Transforms

 

    Once, the river became very proud of the tremendous flow of its water. She felt that she was powerful and could wash away everything with her --- mountains, houses, trees, animals, humans etc.

     One day, the river proudly asked the ocean, "Tell me, what should I bring for you? Houses, animals, humans, trees? Whatever you want, I can uproot and bring with me."

     The ocean said after a pause, "If you want to bring something for me, uproot some grass and bring it."

     The river replied,"Is that all? I'll bring it right away."

     While passing through the field,  the river exerted its full force on the grass, but the grass did not get uprooted. She tried several times but failed. Eventually, the river gave up and told the ocean, "I can uproot trees, houses and mountains, but whenever I apply force to uproot the grass, it bends and I have to pass over it, empty-handed." 

     The ocean listened carefully to the river and said with a smile, "Those who are hard and rigid like mountains and trees, are easily uprooted. But the one who has learned the humility of grass, cannot be disturbed even by the fiercest of winds or violent storms."

     Happiness in life does not mean fighting battles but avoiding them. To retreat skilfully is also a victory in itself because arrogance turns even angels into devils.

A CELEBRATION OF TOGETHERNESS

  Through community meals  What's unique about Chandanki, a village in Gujarat? Here, food isn’t cooked in any house. Instead, food for ...