Wednesday, April 17, 2024

STORY OF ALEXANDER AND THE SAGE

The passion of anger 
As Alexander began preparation to invade India, his wife approached him and asked him to bring a sage from India to her. For she knew that the Indian sage was very wise and knowledgeable person and she and her children could learn many things from him,
Alexander agreed. He conquered India and then found a sage whom he wanted take to his wife. But the sage refused to go with him. 
Alexander was furious. It was the first time somebody refused to obey him. He drew his sword out and told him that he was going to kill him.
To this the sage smiled and told, "Before you strike me, please listen to two things. First, you cannot kill me with that sword. Secondly, you are the slave of my slave."
Alexander was filled with rage, but he asked, "Why do you say that I cannot kill you?"
"With this sword you can only cut my body, but I am not the body alone. I am something else. And you cannot kill that."
"But why did you say that I am the slave of your slave?"
"I have, through my meditation and reflection, conquered the passion of anger. Now anger is my slave. Anger cannot rise in me without my permission. And then, you are filled with anger, and so you are the slave of anger which is my slave."

A CELEBRATION OF TOGETHERNESS

  Through community meals  What's unique about Chandanki, a village in Gujarat? Here, food isn’t cooked in any house. Instead, food for ...