Tuesday, November 8, 2022

Meet the scientist

 I am Galileo


Hey, Kids! I am Galileo, a scientist, mathematician, and astronomer.

 I was born on 15th February, 1564 in Pisa, Italy, the same place where the leaning tower of Pisa is standing.

My father was a famous music teacher and musician.

I grew up with my brothers during the Italian Renaissance.

 We moved to the city of Florence when I was ten years old.

It was in Florence that I began my education at the Camaldolese monastery.

Even I was a musician and an excellent student.

At first, I wanted to become a doctor rand hence went to the University of Pisa to study medicine.

 Later, I became interested in physics and mathematics.

One of my first scientific observations was on a lamp hanging from the ceiling of the cathedral.

I noticed that despite how far the lamp swung it always took the same amount of time to swing back and forth.

My fellow professors did not agree with this.    

Soon I left the university and got a job as a teacher.

I also began to experiment with pendulums, levers, balls, and other objects and tried to describe how they moved using mathematic equations.

Do you know what other scientific achievements I have done when I was alive?

No? Then let me tell you.

Pisa Tower Experiment – During my time people thought that if you dropped two items of different weights, but the same size and shape, the heavier item would hit the ground first.

I disproved them by going to the top of the Leaning Tower of Pisa and dropping two balls of the same size, but different weights.

They landed at the same time.


These experiments made some people angry because they didn't want the traditional views to be questioned.

So, I moved from Pisa to the University of Padua, where I was permitted to freely experiment and discuss new ideas.

Copernicus was an astronomer who lived in the early 1500s.

He claimed that the Sun was the centre of the universe.

But most people believed that the Earth was the centre.

So, I began to study Copernicus' work and felt that he was correct.

But people did not want to believe that.

Telescope – Later, I heard of an invention from Holland called the telescope that could make faraway items appear much closer.

So, I decided to build my own better telescope and began to use it to view the planets.

Soon my version of the telescope was used throughout Europe.

 

I made several excellent discoveries using my telescopes like the four large moons around Jupiter and the phases of the planet Venus.



I also discovered sunspots and learned that the Moon was not smooth but was covered with craters.


All my discoveries made the powerful Catholic Church angry and they sentenced me to life in prison, but later allowed him to live at my home under house arrest.

Soon, my health deteriorated, I became blind, and then I died on January 8, 1642.

A CELEBRATION OF TOGETHERNESS

  Through community meals  What's unique about Chandanki, a village in Gujarat? Here, food isn’t cooked in any house. Instead, food for ...