Monday, March 27, 2023

MEET THE SCIENTIST

 Alexander Graham Bell

I am Alexander Graham Bell, a scientist. I was born in Edinburgh, Scotland on 3rd March 1847. I was initially homeschooled by my father who was a professor. Later I attended high school at the University of Edinburgh.

Do you know what scientific achievements I have done when I was alive? No? Then let me tell you. I was the one who invented the telephone, which is now indispensable to everyone.

I became interested in the science of sounds because both my father and mother were deaf. And slowly I got an idea to send voice signals into a telegraph wire. I got some funding for this experiment and hired another great scientist, Thomas Watson, as my assistant and together we built the world's first telephone. And these are the first words I spoke on my telephone – “Mr. Watson, come here, I want to see you" on March 10, 1876.

Many other scientists also had similar ideas for the telephone but I was the first one to run to a patent office and register my invention. So, I became the first one to invent the telephone before others did.

Then I started a company called Bell Telephone Company in 1877. This company underwent many mergers and name changed over the years. Today this company is known as AT&T.

The telephone is not the only invention that I have done. I have many other scientific achievements to my credit and this is my list:

The Metal Detector - I invented the first metal detector that was used to try and find a bullet inside President James Garfield.

Audiometer - I invented a device to detect hearing problems.

I invented special techniques to help in teaching speech to deaf persons.

I made a device to help find icebergs.

I made the world's first transcontinental telephone call to Thomas Watson from New York to San Francisco. Watson was in San Francisco.

I also helped form the National Geographic Society.

Finally, I died on 2nd August 1922. And when I died every phone in North America was silenced for a short period to honour me.


A CELEBRATION OF TOGETHERNESS

  Through community meals  What's unique about Chandanki, a village in Gujarat? Here, food isn’t cooked in any house. Instead, food for ...