Saturday, March 11, 2023

STORY

The Erect Green Doctor

                                           

Krishn was a farmer. One year, due to good weather and ample rain, Krishn harvested a large quantity of crops and vegetables. He was also able to sell a large quantity in the market. Sakshi, his wife, was very happy.

“Keep the extra money in a big pot,” advised Sakshi. “Bury it under the Ashoka tree on our farm. This savings will be of help to us on a needy day.”

Krishn did as told. Time passed. There came a day when Krishn urgently needed money. He ran to the Ashoka tree and dug the mud beneath it. He found the pot, but there was no money in it!

“It’s empty!” shouted Krishn.

 “We have been robbed!” wailed Sakshi. “Let’s go to the king. He will find the thief for us and severely punish the paise-chor!”

So they went to the palace and met the king. The king summoned his wisest minister.

“Maharaj!” said Veerabhadra, as he bowed to his king.

“Veerabhadra!” said the king. “Find the chor and bring him to me!”

“Krishnji, who are your closest friends?” asked Veerabhadra.

“Mohan, Vishal and Raju,” replied Krishn.

Mohan, Vishal and Raju were summoned to the court.

“Maharaj!” said Mohan, Vishal and Raju as they bowed to the king.

“Did you steal Krishn’s pot of money from underneath the Ashoka tree?” asked Veerabhadra.

“No!” said Mohan. “I was in Jammu for the last three months!”

“No!” denied Vishal. “I was busy working full-time at the hospital. I had no time to go to Krishn’s farm.”

“No!” shouted Raju. “I had a skin problem, so I did not go to meet Krishn. I was scared it would be infectious.”

“Are you taking any medical treatment for it?” asked Veerabhadra.

“Yes!” replied Raju. “I am now much better. Nature has some wonderful medicines!”

Veerabhadra bowed to the king.“Maharaj!” said Veerabhadra. “I know who stole Krishn’s pot of money!”

“It is not me!” shouted Mohan,Vishal and Raju, simultaneously.

“He is the thief!” said Veerabhadra, pointing a finger at Raju.

“I am not the thief!” shouted Raju. “I was suffering from an itchy skin problem. I never met anybody!”

“Did you go to a doctor?”

“No! I used the ……I used…...” Raju did not complete the sentence.

“Maharaj!” said Veerabhadra. “Raju was using leaves and crushed flowers of Krishn’sAshoka tree to cure his itchy skin problem. Everyone knows that these cure dermatitis, psoriasis, eczema, and scabies. They remove the toxins from the body and purify the blood. Raju saw Krishn bury the pot. He heard him tell Sakshi that their money was in a safe place!”

Raju fell down on his knees. “Forgive me Maharaj!” sobbed Raju. “I will never steal money again!”

“Give your friend all the money you stole from him,” said the king, in a stern voice. “I do not want to see your face in my court again.”

Krishn and Sakshi were very happy. They had found their pot of gold. Veerabhadra too was very happy. The king had rewarded him with ten gold coins!

A CELEBRATION OF TOGETHERNESS

  Through community meals  What's unique about Chandanki, a village in Gujarat? Here, food isn’t cooked in any house. Instead, food for ...