Saturday, May 25, 2024

ZEN TALE

Walking on water 
Once, three young monks sat on the bank of a river in meditation. The youngest of the monks said, "I'd be able to concentrate better if I could sit on my prayer mat." He got up and walked across the river to fetch his prayer mat from the hermitage. 
The seniormost monk said, "I can't believe it! When did he learn to walk on water?"
Just then, the other monk got up with a start. "Oh, no! I've left my laundry in the bucket! If I don't hang them up to dry, I shan't have dry clothes to change into!" And he too ran across the river to the hermitage. 
"He can walk on water too!" said the astonished seniormost monk. "Well, if those two can, surely I should be able to do it too."
He stepped into the river but his feet went right through the water. He would have drowned if the other two monks hadn't come to his rescue. 
Feeling humiliated, he left the monastery. Subsequently he got married and had children. 
Then one day, he took his family to see the old monastery. 
Father! Father! Look at that monk walking across the river!" shouted his son excitedly. 
"Yes my son, the monks here are able to walk on water."
When the monk reached the bank, the boy ran to him. 
"Please will you teach me to walk on water?" he asked. 
The monk burst out laughing. "All right, but make sure you follow my steps carefully!" he said. 
The little boy caught hold of the monk's hand and grabbed his robe from behind with the other. Then very carefully, he put his leg in the river just as he saw the monk do, and stepping on the pathway of stones just below the surface, he walked across to the other side. 

A CELEBRATION OF TOGETHERNESS

  Through community meals  What's unique about Chandanki, a village in Gujarat? Here, food isn’t cooked in any house. Instead, food for ...