Wednesday, March 15, 2023

MEET THE SCIENTIST

 Albert Einstein


I am Albert Einstein, a scientist. I was born on March 14, 1879 in Germany. I spent most of my childhood in Munich, Germany. My father had an electronics company and I learned a lot about science and electronics from him. I loved maths and science and wanted to pursue those subjects in school. But I did not finish school in Germany, but went to Switzerland for my studies. I had a sister named Maja.

Did you know that I had speech problems when I was a child? And my parents were worried that I was not very smart. I also failed my entrance exam for college. After schooling and college I wanted to become a professor but did not get that job for a long time. So, I worked in the patent office for my monthly income.

Later, I immigrated to the United States in 1933. This was because I had to flee Europe as the Nazis did not like me since I was Jewish. If I had stayed in Germany I would not have been able to get any suitable job. At one point the Nazis had even put a bounty on my head. After I went to USA I got citizenship there and was safe from Nazis.

Do you know what scientific achievements I have done when I was alive? No? Then let me tell you. I am most famous for my Theory of Relativity. This theory changed much in the way scientists looked at the world of physics. The Theory of Relativity explains how time and distance changes due to the relative or different speed of the object and the observer. It is also the foundation for many modern inventions like the nuclear bomb and nuclear energy. One equation from the theory is a formula called E=mc2. This formula explains how energy (E) is related to mass (m). In this formula, "c" is the speed of light and is a constant. It is assumed to be the fastest speed possible in the universe.

I have other exciting discoveries also. In 1905, I came up with the concept that light is made up of particles called photons. My scientist friends did not agree but later experiments showed this was true. This discovery led to many branches of science and I was awarded the Nobel Prize for Physics in 1921. In 1940, Word War II was going on. So, I auctioned off my hand written version of my Theory of Relativity for 6 million dollars to help with the war effort. Finally, I died on 18 April 1955 in Princeton, New Jersey. 

A CELEBRATION OF TOGETHERNESS

  Through community meals  What's unique about Chandanki, a village in Gujarat? Here, food isn’t cooked in any house. Instead, food for ...